2019 Guppy Tank Winners Announced!
Winners have been named in the fourth annual Guppy Tank Contest, a competition where students from the Rio Grande Valley present their entrepreneurial ideas to a panel of expert judges. In addition to helping finalists fund their business ideas with cash prizes, Watermill Express donated $2500 to Make-A-Wish Foundation Rio Grande Valley.
This year’s contest challenged students to develop an idea that addresses plastic pollution in some manner. According to Forbes, humans buy a million plastic bottles per minute, yet only 23% is recycled.
Bracket 1: 4th -8th grade
- 1st Place: Karina Torres, Jasmine Hernandez, Lynette Pina – Irene Garcia Middle School/La Joya ISD
- Concept: The Plastic Annihilator
- 2nd Place: Larissa Rodriguez – Silva Elementary School
- Concept: The Recycle Rewarder
- 3rd Place: Gabriela Galindo – Home School
- Concept: Save Our Seas Eco Bags
Bracket 2: 9th-12th Grade
- 1st Place: Gisell Bustos & Cynthia Barrera – PSJA South West Early College High School
- Concept: Elemist
- 2nd Place: Joaquin Galindo – Home School
- Concept: ecoDrone Systems
- 3rd Place: Faith Cruz – PSJA – TSTEM High School
- Concept: Eliminate Your Water Bottle
The $2500 donation to Make-A-Wish Rio Grande Valley will go toward granting a wish for a child in the Rio Grande Valley. The Make-A-Wish foundation grants wishes to children with life-threatening medical conditions.